Still Thriving...

Still Thriving...
Have You Scheduled Your Mammogram??!!

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Not so Live From Cape Town

Even with my new ties to South Africa, I still don't think I'll have the chance to travel to Cape Town any time soon. Alas, I must settle for wearing my super powered capes in the IV room at 110 E59th Street. There are no diamonds, no sign of the World Cup and it's certainly not a tourist attraction. But there is a chemolounger chair in which I spent a couple of hours today getting injected with some scary stuff that can potentially lead to fatal toxicity. Whew, I'm certainly glad that didn't happen. 

I reacted well to the treatment today; no allergic reaction at all which means future weekly treatments will not require the steroid and antihistamine prior to the IV,  just the anti-nausea drug along with the Paclitaxel. 

Hair loss supposedly begins after the second or third treatment. I've wrapped my head--ba ha--around this concept and know I will be just fine. My favorite store Fox's opened in NYC this year and they have a great assortment of summer hats for very little money (yes, more retail therapy, but this is warranted!!). I got a big straw Crocodile Dundee type of hat, the kind with the string so you can wear it around or your neck or adjust it to keep it secure on your head. I also was alerted today that my free Good Wishes head scarf http://www.goodwishesscarves.org has shipped. And last week I got free sunscreen soap from Bethesda. (Who knew such a thing existed?) There's lots of free stuff for cancer patients out there, a lot of which I found on my friend Bethany's website: http://breastcancerfreebies.com If someone else you know is going through chemotherapy, you may want to pass on the link. 

No other big news to report. My life so far is going on as normal, which is part of the goal.

Getting prepped today for IV #2.
Sandy mocks me and my wardrobe changes.
I say, Cher would be proud. I'm the new ChemoCher!

Look what's recently arrived at my doorstep....
 
Don't let the turkeys get you down! 
Dani and I were huge Boynton and Far Side fans in h.s. 
This was one of our favorite card-toons; 
we still reference the saying today.  
I can't believe she was able to locate this mug for me. 

Whitney sent me a Pajamagram with a cape!

The card reads, "Fuck the cancer. Love, Whitney"


Bethany's custom chemocare baseket with pink polish, Biotene, cozy sox, scarf...

Some words of encouragement arrived from Chicago today along with a happy Buddha.
He seems to be embracing his baldness so why shouldn't I? Thanks, Amy! 

Since it appears I'm the only person who actually puts on weight during chemotherapy (?!), this lovely book from Mom's (sorority sister!) friend Norma should come in very handy.... for Sandy, that is, who cooks me the most fabulous cancer-conscious meals with love and goodness.

Thank you Ben and Kelcey for the awesome Wonder Woman t-shirt, which coordinates with my new POP! Wonder Woman necklace from Joanie. Joanie says wearing a Wonder Woman costume every day may not be that practical so now I'm covered.

Regards from Cape Town, NYC,
Love you all!!!
eLiz.



No comments:

Post a Comment