Still Thriving...

Still Thriving...
Have You Scheduled Your Mammogram??!!

Friday, March 8, 2013

Much Ado About Everything & Nothing

Hi All,

Been out of touch with a broken computer and then spent a few days in Florida visiting family. I've had so many different things to blog about running through my head so pardon this mismash of stuff.

Arts & Leisure (Occurred February 10th)
I don't how to express my thanks to Katia Floreska who gave a shout out to me at Joe's Pub. Katia is one of the regulars of The Loser's Lounge, one of NYC's best bands. They perform every 6-8 weeks at JP (part of the Public Theater) and on each occassion the band (called the Custard Kings) pays tribute to one or two bands with each of the 20 guest singers doing their own interpretation of one of the featured band's songs. This night happened to be a battle of the bands: James Taylor vs Cat Stevens and there was no doubt in my mind for whom I was cheering. Though I like JT now and then (love "Smiling Face"), I remember listening to my dad's Cat Stevens Greatest Hits 8-track in what we called our music room (it once had a piano which was replaced by an 8-track player). The music absolutely resonated with me and every now and then when I can't sleep, I play his music. Well, Katia and I made eye contact while she was on stage and I about two rows away. After she was introduced she announced something to the effect of, I don't want to embarass this person, but I want to dedicate this next song to my friend Liz Belson. Shit. Embarrassed? Hell no, I was so blown away by this gift. And what followed blew me away even more. Katia killed it!!! Listen for yourself here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RrJZH_AgQy0

Katia, I love you and happy belated birthday! Peace to YOU, Babe!

Travel (Originally drafted in Fla on March 2nd)
I am sitting in my favorite spot of my family's house, that is, my feet are propped up on an ottoman in front of the pool, looking out at the 16th hole. I just read an article in a local rag about whether or not a woman with breast cancer that metastasized to her lungs and bones would benefit from medical marijuana. Is there really a debate over this? Ok, maybe smoking it isn't the best idea but certainly a brownie as opposed to two or more alternative toxic meds referenced in the article would be ideal, don't you think?  No need to answer, we all know there's a "right" answer.  Somehow this article managed to really piss me off. The woman is 68 years old, has advanced cancer and some doctor is nervous that she might have anxiety from her reaction to the marijuana.  Something's wrong with this picture.

In the meantime, while a bit chilly (Honey, you should take a sweater kind of chilly), taking in a little vitamin D while looking out at palm trees is so relaxing. I do love the change of seasons in NY and I'd never suggest living in a hot climate year round but as I get older I realize I have a need to escape the cold and grey New York I call home.  It all seems so complicated though. One has to keep track of vacation days, consider costs for travel and work around other people's schedules. I was talking to a co-worker the other day and he said he's so excited because he's about to enter his 15th year on the job and now he's entitled to four weeks vacation.  FIFTEEN years at the same job. He then told me how some of the other staff have been working 40 years (!) and they get five weeks vacation. On the one hand, this speaks well about the job, for few people will last 40 years at a job these days. On the other hand, this makes me think, is this what life is about? Busting your butt so that in 15 years you're entitled to what I think is a very reasonable amount of time off to give everyone? I've no idea where I am going with this thought other than it seems there must be a happy balance to work and play (travel) and I haven't really figured out a way to master that yet.

Palm Trees, Sunshine, Green Grass               Fabulous Tree Near Dad's House Makes Me Happy

Style Section 
A major FASHION DON'T as seen at the Mets vs Marlins spring training game at Roger Dean Stadium in Jupiter, FL...A grown woman sporting pig tails with Scuncis and a Mets cap. Need I say more? (Yes, I can be a B!t¢H)

 
Health & Nutrition (Tune in March 16th)

Next Saturday, March 16th @ 5PM, I'll be a guest on the radio show Stirring The Pot on WPPB 88.3FM I'll be joining radio show host and nutritionist Stefanie Sacks with whom I've had the great privilege of consulting and the author of The Cancer Fighting Kitchen, Rebeca Katz, talking about, what else, fighting cancer with a healthy diet and lifestyle!

Through a partnership with Hamptons’ NPR— Peconic Public Broadcasting (WPPB)-- the show airs through Eastern Long Island and Southern CT. You can also catch it via live stream or if you miss the show, check out the podcast). I believe I'm scheduled to come on during the last 10 or 20 minutes of the show.

I also want to share this tidbit of info one of my Cancer Dancer (see old dance recital blog post from 2009) friends Zulma passed on to me. I've yet to try this but plan to purchase one this weekend and will let you know if it offers me any relief:

Last but not least in this section, I want to mention the approval for use of the new drug Kadcyla http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/22/health/breast-cancer-drug  to help treat women with Her2 positive metastatic breast cancer. Thanks to several of you who thought to pass on this information to me. The drug does not treat my type of cancer as I am not Her2 positive, but it will certainly help millions of other women!! Another reason to think positive!




Local News
On February 13th I took my first follow Cat scan with contrast since I began chemo on Christmas Eve 2012. I will spare you the details of that day's awful appointment but I will tell you that I had to have not one, but two of those horrid fart bag drinks; if you saw a mushroom cloud rise above your home that day, it was me passing by.

Anyway, the results of the scan showed no change in size of the tumors. At first I thought this wasn't great news, but the doctor's reaction was good because they didn't get bigger. The idea is to contain the disease, that is, prevent it from spreading and of course if possible, shrink or eliminate the tumors. The fact that symptomatically I am better, that is, my cough is gone, is a good indication that the chemo is working. The next scan will take place in about another month and seeing as even more time will have passed, maybe we'll see more improved results.

In the meantime, my Xeloda schedule is still 2 in the AM and two in the PM for seven days every other week. It definitely is a tolerable dose but I will say I am feeling the side effects as it builds up in my system. My feet are sore and blistered and the nausea persists for a few days after the Xeloda cycle has ended (hence I will try the wristband and continue with the acupuncture). This of course is nothing compared to what other people in treatment endure so I'm not complaining. 

On that note I want to leave you with this video which was passed on to me shortly after my diagnosis. I've yet to watch it without weeping so be warned. For those of you who don't know pop singer Kelly Clarkson (first winner of American Idol), this song held different meaning to her when it was written but I think this is amazing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihGCj5mfCk8

FIGHT!!

xxxxEliXabethxxx

4 comments:

  1. Are those people at Roger Dean wearing coats? What th-? I was there a week before you and we were stripping down to our underpants and slathering on tanning butter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only one not wearing a jacket was the guy selling NY hot dogs and yelling......"Get yer NY hot dogs here! $10 for the dog and another 10 for tax!"

      Delete
  2. Liz, palm trees are my favorite not solely upon their association with vacation for us Northerners but because of a journey for the senses. See them dance and sway in a warm breeze and emerge victorious in a violent storm (symbolic of the cancer patient/survivor?). Listen to the symphony of spindled leaves clapping about. Feel the shade offering under a hot Florida sun. There's great peace in nature if we pay enough attention. My money is on you against any fight and against any opponent. I walk beside you.
    ~Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. Let me know when it's Gordon Lightfoot vs. Dan Fogelberg at Joe's Pub.

    ReplyDelete