Still Thriving...

Still Thriving...
Have You Scheduled Your Mammogram??!!

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Fuzzy Wuzzy Was a Bear...


Fuzzy Wuzzy Had No Hair...

Couldn't think of anything else to write. I was just remembering yesterday's bald comment du jour:

I'm waiting on line to check out at Fairway. There's one woman in front of me who for whatever reason turns around and sees me. Startled she says:

Lady: Oh. It's been a while since I've seen a... (Pause. Stare.)
Me: A what? (Knowing what she was thinking).
Lady: A, um, bald woman. 
Me:  Oh, yeah, well...
Lady: It's just been a while. 

Then she grabs my forearm to let me know it's ok.

Smiling she says in a singsong voice:
Lady: Well, I hope it's for something happy!
Me: No, I wouldn't say happy.  
Lady: Oh, I'm sorry.
Me: That's OK because I am happy!

And then she let me cut in front of her. 

OK, Ok, the woman was caught off guard, but would it be OK to say to someone, Oh, it's been a while since I've seen someone with one leg! Or, Oh, it's been a while since I've seen someone with a big zit on her nose! Or an Aboriginal tattoo on his face. Or a horrible plastic surgery! (which I see daily). You might glance, but to say something? No. But that's me. Maybe I have a better filter. 

Now that we're on the topic of no hair, I forgot to share this photo with my last entry. It's of me getting the blade at The Art of Shaving. I decided to do it because Sandy's shaver could no longer catch my fuzz; what little was growing, was coming back in patches so the razor head would skip. One night I went at it with my own Schick Quattro and it came out decent but not great. Maybe because I haphazardly did it while talking on the phone standing in front of the medicine cabinet. So I took it to the next level and went to the pros. The staff was so excited. We've never a had a woman go back in the back! (Where the barber is.) This nice man, whose name I forgot, lived for two things: Being a dad and being a barber. I loved the experience of the hot oil followed by hot foam, the massage, steam towel and doing the process twice (one with and once again the grain)... I did not like the ice cold towel at the end. I wondered how many women hailing from the (old) Five Towns of LI found themselves in a men's barber shop doing this (in the "new" Five Towns, this would be prior to getting a pre-wedding sheitel). I think I can get used to this! But a shave can be pricey. It was $35 before tip. I considered checking out some other less expensive barbers, but Sandy's keen on doing it for free and he does just as good a job.


And then there are those who like to make their hair the mane event. Anyone check out the September issue of Oprahhttp://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/oprah-afro-wig-o-magazine-september-2013_n_3709243.html   Her Afro wig, which she lovingly named Wild Thang, weighed in at 3.5 pounds!! You go, girl! But as my friend Whitney pointed out to me, as much fun as Oprah had with it, she still knows how to keep it real (pardon the pun):


Here's me and Chemosabe horsin' around in Times Square a couple of weeks ago...




Two week ago, Mom and I started the Jewish New Year off with a chemo cocktail followed by a fabulous lunch at David Burke. Heathens? Nah. We girls do what we gotta do.  Someone had to keep sales up in New York City that day!



Below was taken at last week's session where Sandy joined me. I was treated in the back room (a first) which although is more private and has a little TV, it can really use some sprucing up. If anyone has any wall art work they might want to donate, please send me a picture and I'll run it by the office. What I really think they need is this: http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Kitty-Deluxe-Recliner-Lavender/dp/B004DMA0ZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379543765&sr=8-1&keywords=hello+kitty+recliner

Unfortunately they don't make it for adults which is a crying shame. People would be lining up for chemo if they knew they'd get to sit in one of these!! I might look into some HK or Wonder Woman sheets to drape over the chair. ...As I write this I'm thinking, that's a great idea!


And tomorrow's another day. Pax Cycle 2, Week 8. Last week we started to discuss next steps following chemo assuming the next scan comes back OK. I can't say I'm thrilled with what's ahead. I started doing some research on the injections considered to officially throw me into menopause before I can begin hormone treatment. I found myself on Erin Brockovitch's website with her campaigning for a class action suit against the pharma company that makes it. I did this while lying in bed for two days with a hideous cold. You'd think with that, the effects of the NyQuil and the music I was listening to I might not have ever made it out to see day light again, but miraculously I came to my senses. Must be all the love I get from you guys!! 

My rock star friend, Zulma, walked her tail off for me last week at the
Komen Walk For The Cure! I love you, Z!!

One day at a time, Liz.

One day at a time....

Love and light to everyone and a special prayer for those in Colorado 
who are having an especially rough time right now.  

Huge hugs,

LB

P.S. For those of you with a keen eye who noticed that I took down my cartoon images, Google apparently has a problem with some of the content on this blog, so much so they've blocked any advertisers from the page. Thanks, Google, for bustin' up my tumor humor party. I have a bit more cleaning up to do if I want to get the advertisers back. If I wasn't collecting the money for charity I'd probably reconsider. Until I publish my book (if ever) I suppose I don't have much of a choice.



No comments:

Post a Comment