Still Thriving...

Still Thriving...
Have You Scheduled Your Mammogram??!!

Monday, December 24, 2012

The X Factor

My Xeloda arrived. I took my first four tablets about five minutes ago. I think I am experiencing every side effect I read about. OK, I am experiencing nothing. Except fear and dread. I know I'll be fine. I'll know I'll get better. But the unknown is driving me a bit crazy. I just started chemotherapy. I hope my lungs get better. The End.

Tell me you wouldn't be scared:

+-Text Size

Capecitabine

(kape-site-uh-bean)
Trade/other name(s): Xeloda

Why would this drug be used?

Capecitabine is used to treat breast, colon, or rectal that has spread (metastasized). It may also be used to treat other types of cancer.

How does this drug work?

Capecitabine belongs to a group of chemotherapy drugs known as anti-metabolites. It keeps cells from making DNA and RNA, which stops cancer cells from growing. Capecitabine is converted to the drug 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) in your body, letting more of the active drug get to the tumor.

Possible side effects

You will probably not have most of the following side effects, but if you have any talk to your doctor or nurse. They can help you understand the side effects and cope with them.

Common

  • diarrhea
  • nausea
  • vomiting
  • sores in mouth or on lips
  • tiredness or weakness
  • numbness, tingling, itching of hands or/and feet*
  • skin redness, rash, dryness
  • low red blood cell count (anemia) with increased risk of tiredness (fatigue)*
  • skin irritation

Less common

  • low white blood cell count with increased risk of infection*
  • low platelet count with increased risk of bleeding*
  • pain in the belly, back, or joints
  • constipation
  • poor appetite
  • heartburn after eating
  • fever
  • feelings of pins and needles in hands and/or feet*
  • headache
  • dizziness
  • trouble sleeping
  • cough or trouble breathing
  • eye irritation
  • skin color changes
  • hair loss or thinning (including face and body hair)
  • bleeding from the bowel
  • abnormal blood tests which suggest that the drug is affecting the liver (Your doctor will discuss the importance of this finding, if any.)

Rare

  • severe diarrhea with dehydration
  • depression
  • bowel damage (necrotizing typhlitis)
  • heart damage with swelling of ankles, chest pain, abnormal heartbeat
  • peeling and blistering of palms and soles of feet*
  • allergic reaction
  • death due to bleeding, heart failure, heart attack, infection, or other causes

No comments:

Post a Comment