Still Thriving...

Still Thriving...
Have You Scheduled Your Mammogram??!!

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Fight, Fight, Fight!

Just a quick update to say that last week I tolerated the low dose of Xeloda very well. One side effect, hand and foot syndrome, is somewhat inevitable. Last week my feet felt like I was walking on hot sand and my toes were blistered. My hands got very dry and started to peel. I constantly slather on Udderly Smooth and Bag Balm, both recommended on any Xeloda related website, and I'm still experiencing this but it could always be a lot worse (think back three or four weeks ago). This week I'm Xeloda free and happy to report my feet feel just fine. Other than that I just experienced some fatigue. 

Today I went to the oncologist for my bi-weekly check up and to have my blood drawn. I got on the scale and he said, I see you're getting back to your fighting weight! Ugh, what woman every wants to hear THAT? Last time I heard something similar, a male friend said, Now, don't take this the wrong way, but it looks like you put on weight but it looks good on you. I think there was a backhanded compliment in there, but ladies, you KNOW I went home and torched the dress I was wearing. This time however, I'll take it. My appetite is good and I'm eating healthy cancer fighting foods despite what the doc says (Stop driving yourself crazy; go ahead and eat some McDonald's. He doesn't know me very well.). I met with nutritionist Stefanie Sacks yesterday who reviewed my health history and is coming back with some healthy meal ideas for both when I'm on and off chemotherapy. Anyone have a Vitamix they care to unload on me?

As prescribed by my onc, starting Monday I will increase the Xeloda dose by one pill. For seven days I'll take three pills in the AM (up from two) and two in the evening. Then I'm Xeloda free for seven days after which I'll probably go for a chest X-ray to see if there's any noticeable change. My cough has definitely subsided so something must be going right! 

Keeping in the "fighting spirit" I wanted to share a text I received today from a childhood friend with whom I only socialize about once a year, yet whenever I see him, it's as if I see him every day. I was so touched by this. He said, Yeah you are def a warrior and i know u will kick ass again. Sorry that this is a recurring battle it should be just once and done which is bad enough- but u will knock that C down again and again if necessary. you got the right support weapons that have your back. I will plan to come by to rub your shoulders, wring a cold wet towel down your neck, stop the cut above your eye, plug your nostrils with cotton, put your mouth piece back in after you spit in the spitoon and then slap you on the ass to get back in the ring to bite the c's ear off.

I'm wondering, should I turn in my Wonder Woman costume for Rocky's satin robe? 

That's all for now, folks. Hope everyone is reading this somewhere warm and cozy. I must admit I've allowed myself to take a lot more cabs these days to escape the cold and I think I'm even playing the cancer card with myself. Heck, it's worth it. 

Love to all,

Liz
Carvel cake from my family's Queen for The Day b'day celeb last Sunday...

Can you guess what I wished for?

A bracelet my friend Cecilia sent to me from Sweden. Who needs diamonds?
(Sandy, I don't really mean that :)


Have your cake and eat it too.... 
A sweet idea from a friend's daughter to help raise money for Breast Cancer research and treatment: 

CUPCAKES VS. CANCER

Hello All, 

I've committed to participating in the Avon Walk for Breast Cancer. 39.3 miles people!  This is way more than anything I've done at the gym. It's a big commitment, one that will require me to spend the next several months training and fundraising. But breast cancer is a big disease, one that still affects far too many people, and I'm determined to do everything I can to help put an end to it.

I CAN'T DO IT WITHOUT YOUR HELP! Though I'm required to raise at least $1,800 to walk in the event, I hope to raise much more! I hope that I can count on your support.

So to start off the New Year, I will bake you a dozen Mooncake Cupcakes for a donation of $35 or more.  Delicious and light, my mooncake cupcakes are frosted with red bean buttercream, vanilla cake, a red bean surprise center and edible chocolate pocky chopsticks.

If you're in the Manhattan, Queens or Greenwich, CT area,
I'll be delivering February 8th, 9th and 10th.

To make a donation by credit card and receive your cupcakes, or any donation at all,
please visit my personal page at:

Or contact me if you are interested in paying in cash or check.

I hope, together, we can have our cake and eat it too!

Love you all,

XiaoHwa Sydney Ng

2 comments:

  1. Vitamix? Unfortunately, no. I do however have a few boxes of Meow Mix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending lots and lots of love from Cambodia. Fight on, sister, knowing you aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete