Still Thriving...

Still Thriving...
Have You Scheduled Your Mammogram??!!

Saturday, April 20, 2013

Tax Season

So, there's good news and bad news.

Results from Thursday's CT scan came in. The most notable finding is the increase in size of (innumerable metastatic) nodules, that is, tumors. To give you an idea of size, the largest nodule measures 3.1 x 2.2 cm, previously 2.7 x 1.9 cm. What does this mean? Findings are consistent with progression of disease.

The measurements above may seem unimpressive however it tells us that the Xeloda isn't doing what we hoped it would--keep the tumors stable or ideally, shrink them. Things are heading in the wrong direction so we must go with plan B. The Xeloda's been tossed in a drawer and next week I'll have my first IV infusion of Paclitaxel, a form of TAXOL®.  Prior to doing this I must first get two Rx's (Tuesday) for antihistamines which will be administered right before I get the IV (Thursday) with the hope of preventing an allergic reaction (e.g. rash, itching, swelling, wheezing, chest pain). The IV is given in my oncologist's office and takes about an hour; supposedly I can return to work afterwards assuming I haven't passed out from the Benadryl. The day before each weekly IV (# of weeks, months, unknown), I must get my blood drawn at a local lab. Patients have to be watched carefully because there's risk of getting a blood disorder, becoming anemic and sigh, so on and so forth. Side effects? Fatigue, nail discoloration, "plumbing issues", neuropathy, vomiting, chemo brain, bone pain, and well, I'll be sporting the GI Jane look pretty soon--hair loss usually occurs within two-four weeks, perfect timing for summer! Gag. Yes, it will grow back, but I already have visions of wig sweats and my penciled in eye brows melting and dripping down my face. This does not bode well for my Wonder Woman image. 

The good news? I got my tax refund this week, which has already been applied to the retail therapy bill I've racked up over the past couple of months. 

I'm trying to find the silver lining in all of this. The way I see it, after having seen Artie Lange at Caroline's last night, I think I can get through this. Artie's been in and out of drug rehabs and mental institutions countless times and yet he's got his own radio show, he's in a relationship, and he's still cracking side splitting jokes to sold out audiences.  If Artie can do that, I think I can laugh my way though this year's tax season.

Stay beautiful,

Me.
PS Click here to watch a great link Sandy shared with me...Note to self, revisit this when I start looking like a cue ball. 

1 comment:

  1. What a great post. I have been doing research on how to do taxes online for my finance class's final. Your article was very informative and helpful. Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete