Still Thriving...

Still Thriving...
Have You Scheduled Your Mammogram??!!

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Cup Runneth Over

Today I met with yet another remarkable doctor! I came to Dr. Michael Osborne at the recommendation of Dr. Montgomery at MSKCC. The thought was to investigate a surgeon who'd be covered by my insurance plan (for which I am so grateful to have). The care I received is of utmost importance, and if I can get reimbursed for excellent care, why not pursue it? After googling, networking and finally meeting Dr. Osborne, who by the way has been at Beth Israel on Union Sq. East for only six weeks, I'm here to say that he is one of the finest dr's I've ever met. Seasoned, intelligent, fabulous bedside manner, humble, giving of his time... I've scheduled a tentative surgery date of 9/19.

I am still in need of one more MRI and am awaiting the BRCA results. The latter should arrive w/in another two weeks maximum. The waiting is difficult however I know I will get answers. I take each day as it comes and have time to do that much more research. As one question's answered, another one comes up. Knowledge really is power.

While on my way in to the dr's office today, I crossed paths with a dear friend of mine (nameless) who'd been seeing Dr. O for years. She continues to get a clean bill of health but does annual follow ups despite being told there's no longer a need to. It was meant to be that I saw her b/c she really put my mind at ease that this is a great dr. and that everything will be OK. I've never doubted the latter, but this was coming from someone I know personally experienced this at my age.

I was pretty set on having a mastectomy b/c I'd heard various things about the outcome of radiation. Dr. O seems to think I will look fine afterwards so I am scheduled for a lumpectomy. If the BRCA results come back poz, things will change bu the seems to think the odds are in my favor. The next day or so will be devoted to researching more about the after affects of radiation, but after speaking to my friend last nite, I feel a bit more comfortable with the outcome. This is one of the hardest decisions to make b/c once you do it, there's no turning back.

Of course my health comes first, but there is also an aesthetic/cosmetic component to this for me as with many other women. I want to heal and feel the best that I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment